All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years, with the establishment of the Hong Kong Film Archive and growing scholarly interest in the history of Hong Kong cinema, previously neglected historical documents and difficult-to-access films have offered new research materials. As Hong Kong film history comes into sharper focus, its inextricable links across the decades to Southeast Asia, Korea, Japan, the United States, and to the far reaches of the Chinese diaspora have also become more evident. Hong Kong's connection with Hollywood involves ties that bring together art cinema and popular genres as well as film festivals and the media marketplace with popular transnational genres. Giving fresh and facsinating insights into the vibrant area of Hong Kong, this exciting new book links Hong Kong with world film culture both within and beyond the commercial Hollywood paradigm. It emphasizes Hong Kong film in relation to other cinema industries, including Hollywood, and demonstrates that Hong Kong film, throughout its history, has challenged, redefined, expanded, and exceeded its borders.
- Author BiographyGina Marchetti is on faculty in Comparative Literature at the University of Hong Kong. Her other books include Romance and the Yellow Peril : Race, Sex, and Discursive Strategies in Hollywood Fiction (1993), and From Tian'anmen to Times Square: Transnational China and the Chinese Diaspora on Global Screens, 1989-1997 (2006). Tan See Kam is Associate Professor of Communication at the University of Macau, Macao SAR, China. He is Vice-Chair of the Asian Cinema Studies Society. His research interests cover media communication in the areas of film, cultural and gender studies. He is the author of Chinese Connections: Critical Perspectives in Film, Identity and Diaspora (with Feng and Marchetti).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/12/2006
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Series TitleMedia, Culture and Social Change in Asia Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white illustrations, 4 black & white halftones
- Weight589 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byGina Marchetti,Tan See Kam
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.