All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHawai'i is one of the most ethnically and racially diverse places in the world due to its central location in the Pacific. Situated at the crossroads of different cultures, Holulu has a style all of its own. Holulu Street Style captures this unique approach as it demonstrates how global trends are transformed by stylish Holulu denizens to give them a unique, local look. Divided into chapters on hair, hats, accessories, and beachwear, the book features the styles of people encountered on the street in many different neighborhoods, with an essay on the history and clothing of Hawai'i as a whole. The neighborhood fashion explored includes that of iconic Waikiki, which conjures images most people associate with Hawai'i, yet the mass-produced tourist clothing belies a deeper fashion culture hidden in local enclaves and local boutiques that foster an upscale, casual style. Chinatown is a neighborhood of dramatic color and exotic touches, and it hosts First Friday events that transform the neighborhood into a crowded hub of artistic, musical, and retail activity. As the photos show, the Kaka'ako neighborhood draws a crowd that is hip, traveled, and t afraid to venture off the beaten path. In contrast, the Maa valley, home to the flagship campus of the University of Hawai'i, presents itself as an eclectic mix of students and professionals dressed in everything from boho chic to surfer, skater, avant-garde, and casual professional style. A highly visual book with full-color street style photography, Holulu Street Style will be a landmark publication in the study of place and style.
- Author BiographyMalie Moran is the founder of Hawaii RED Style, a website and production company focused on documenting and cultivating style leaders in the Hawaiian Islands. Attila Pohlmann is currently pursuing a PhD in the marketing program at the Shidler College of Business at the University of Hawai'i. Andrew Reilly is associate professor at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa.
- Author(s)Andrew Reilly,Attila Pohlmann,Malie Moran
- PublisherIntellect Books
- Date of Publication24/01/2014
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintIntellect Books
- Content Note240 colour plates
- Weight612 g
- Width219 mm
- Height219 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.