All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $34.94
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume brings together the practical insights and experiences of individuals and organisations working in diverse regions and contexts to combat 'crimes of hour'. Authors examine strategies of response to such manifestations of violence against women, focusing largely on 'hour killings' and interference with the right to choice in marriage, and the related use and legal treatment of the defence of 'hour' and 'provocation' in different countries of Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and South Asia. This timely volume is distinctive in approach and content, highlighting activist and practice-orientated academic perspectives from both the South and the North. The authors give voice to the struggle to locate 'crimes of hour' firmly within the international framework of violence against women and human rights, rather than positioning these abuses as specific to particular cultures or communities. The first of its kind, this book serves as a resource in addressing 'hour crimes' and, more broadly, violence against women, and will be of interest to a multi-disciplinary academic audience as well as to lawyers, policy-makers and activists.
- Author BiographyLynn Welchman is senior lecturer in the law department at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. Sara Hossain is a barrister practising at the Supreme Court of Bangladesh, and a member of Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK), a national human rights and legal aid organisation.
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2005
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Weight667 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byLynn Welchman,Sara Hossain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.