All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn original collection of voices, filled with hope and tears, chronicles the history of Ellis Island and the people it served. Indians, settlers, immigrants, inspectors, doctors, nurses, cooks, and social workers all played a big part in that history. Author Gwenyth Swain reimagines the lives of those who landed, lived, and worked on the island through fictional letters, mologues, dialogues, and e-mails, basing them on historical documentation and real-life people. In doing so, she creates a moving picture of their struggles and triumphs. Illustrated with poignant and affecting photographs, this is a unique exploration of Ellis Island's history. Includes further resources, bibliography, and source tes.
- Author BiographyGwenyth Swain is the author of more than two dozen books for young readers. She runs the library at Twin Cities Academy in St. Paul, Minnesota. Swain was inspired to write about Ellis Island after hearing her grandmother's stories of a visit to the immigration station in the early 1900s. She lives in St. Paul. Hope and Tears was supported in part by a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board.
- Author(s)Gwenyth Swain
- PublisherBoyds Mills Press
- Date of Publication05/04/2012
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationHonesdale
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBoyds Mills Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight703 g
- Width203 mm
- Height259 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $178.29Trending at AU $199.99
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $168.55
- AU $26.36Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.30
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.35
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $52.70
- AU $14.90Trending at AU $23.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.