All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
About this product
- Description- Illustrated. Mr. Hallam's little book on Horace, including llustrations and maps and plans of the Sabine Farm. Chapters on modern Tivoli, we should read Augustus for Domitian and Horace himself for Martial, and on the Fons Bandusiae, of which a full description is given; one on Horace's services to Rome and to the world; and various poems, Latin and English, including a Latin dedication to 'The Latinists and Grecians of the Girls' Public Day School Trust. This book guides us as delightfully as ever through Horace's country homes and haunts. A te of personal intimacy has been introduced, and we are vouchsafed a charming peep into the present day garden of S. Antonio with its tutelary spirits, both vertebrate and lepidopterous. Boys and girls of today who read these verses, 'Ave atque Vale' and 'Ad Nympham Tiburtinam, ' the former written in Horace's own garden, will feel the presence of the poet of 2.000 years ago very much closer to them, and for this both they and all who believe in a classical education owe Mr. Hallam much gratitude.
- Author BiographyGeorge Hanley Hallam born in St. John's on May 23, 1865, was a brilliant classical scholar and was educated at Shrewsbury School and St. John's College, Cambridge, where he was bracketed Senior Classic in 1869, was Craven scholar, and won the Browne medals for a Greek ode twice and for a Latin ode. He was thereupon elected to a fellowship at St. John's College, and was appointed a master at Harrow in the following year. He retired in 1906 and dead at his home in Sant'Antonio at Tivoli on July 12, 1932.
- Author(s)George Hanley Hallam
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication31/10/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight113 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.