All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince our previous symposium in 1995, the pace of research in hormones and cancer has accelerated. Progress in our understanding of hormonal carcigenic processes has been a direct result of the advances made in cell biology, endocrilogy, and carcigenesis at the molecular level. The newer fields of molecular genetics and cytogenetics already have and are expected to continue to playa major role in furthering our understanding of the cellular and molecular events in hormonal carcigenesis. It has become increasingly clear that the risk of naturally occurring sex hormones in carcigenic processes, both in human and in animal models, requires only minute quantities of hormones, at both the serum and tissue levels. Moreover, hormone target tissues for neoplastic transformation, perhaps with the exception of the liver, generally have relatively modest ability to metabolize sex hormones, such as the breast and prostate. Table 1 summarizes the serum, and in most cases, the tissue levels of sex hormones, both endogeusly and exogeusly ingested, which are associated with increased risk for endocrine-associated cancers such as breast, endometrium, and prostate, as well as the hormone levels of four experimental models that have been shown to elicit high tumor incidences. In contrast to the human, in which the hormone levels are cyclic, however, the latter require continuous hormone exposure at these relatively low levels.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication22/10/2011
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note51 black & white tables, biography
- Weight914 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byJanet R. Daling,Jonathan J. Li,Sara A. Li
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 2001
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.