All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow are contemporary social divisions reinforced through the housing system? How should we understand problems of migration and household displacement? How do gender, sexuality and work shape the experience of the home? This text explores how sociologists should confront many of the most pressing housing issues and related political questions today. With the kwledge that housing debt was key to the most recent global ecomic crisis, we w understand better than ever how homes are part of the architecture of our ecomies and -ultimately- of governments' strategies favouring certain social groups while excluding others. Rowland Atkinson and Keith Jacobs offer the first comprehensive overview of a sociology of both housing and the home. They consider the often neglected analysis of housing systems while arguing that the daily centrality of the home places it at an important intersection between theories of the self, society and the state. House, Home and Society equips readers with an international perspective that recognises the range of housing, households and everyday domestic experience today. Cutting across disciplines, this invative and thought-provoking text is relevant to students and researchers in sociology, geography, politics and beyond.
- Author BiographyRowland Atkinson is Research Chair in Inclusive Societies at the University of Sheffield UK. He was formerly director of the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (University of Tasmania and Flinders University). Keith Jacobs is Professor of Sociology at the University of Tasmania, Australia. Keith has an extensive track record in housing policy research, with over 60 journal articles, and is the author of The Dynamics of Local Housing Policy and Social Constructionism in Housing Research (edited with Jim Kemeny and Tony Manzi).
- Author(s)Dr. Keith Jacobs,Rowland Atkinson
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication18/03/2016
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note2 graphs, 2 black & white tables
- Weight251 g
- Width137 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.28Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.