All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $27.06
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $35.12
- AU $33.01Trending at AU $39.52
- AU $11.42Trending at AU $14.09
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.35
- AU $18.79Trending at AU $25.47
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.33
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is it about the rustic beauty of hardwood floors or the luxury of natural stone countertops that turns ordinary people into covetous friends, competitive neighbors, and shameless sops? In House Lust, Newsweek writer Daniel McGinn takes readers inside the homes--and the psyches--of people all over the country to discover what's fueling the national fixation on where and how we live today.If eyes are the windows to our souls, then our homes are the windows into our taste, our wallets, and, arguably, our very identities. Buying a house or apartment is a rite of passage, so it's only natural that we spend a lot of time talking about our homes--and our neighbors' homes. House Lust is filled with stories of what people are t talking about: --The kitchen designer who in four years saw seven of her twenty clients' marriages end in divorce--The woman who took a sledgehammer to her kitchen while her husband was away on a fishing trip to motivate him to start remodeling-- Zillowing --using the Web site Zillow.com to find out how much your friends (and enemies) paid for their homesIn a narrative that blends comic social commentary with incisive reporting, McGinn proves what real estate agents have kwn all along: people are t just buying a house, they're buying an identity. House Lust is an astute, funny, and sometimes disturbing portrait of contemporary America.
- Author BiographyDaniel McGinn is a national correspondent at Newsweek and has published articles on culture and real estate in the Boston Globe Sunday Magazine and Wired. He was twice named one of the country's best journalists under thirty and has appeared as a guest on NPR, CNN, CNBC, and MSNBC. He lives in a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts. David Drummond has made his living as an actor for over twenty-five years, appearing on stages large and small throughout the country and in Seattle, Washington, his hometown. He has narrated over sixty audiobooks for Tantor, in genres ranging from current political commentary to historical nonfiction, from fantasy to military, and from thrillers to humor. He received an AudioFile Earphones Award for his first audiobook, Love 'Em or Lose 'Em: Getting Good People to Stay. When not narrating, David keeps busy writing plays and stories for children.
- Author(s)Daniel McGinn
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication08/01/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Out-of-print date07/01/2017
- Weight72 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Narrator(s)David Drummond
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time570
- Edition StatementUnabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.