All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
About this product
- DescriptionHousing is a fundamental human right. For most of human history, our homes were built by hand from whatever local materials were available. However, since the Industrial Revolution, most housing has become little more than quickly constructed, mass-produced, uniform boxes. At the same time, the invention and standardization of the thirty-year mortgage and our ever-increasing reliance on credit has come to mean that most of us never own our homes outright. Housing Reclaimed is a call to arms for nconventional home builders. It examines how techlogical advances, design evolution, and resourceful, out-of-the-box thinking about materials and efficiency can help us meet the challenge of building affordable, environmentally friendly, beautiful, and unique homes. Focusing on the use of salvaged and reclaimed materials, this inspirational volume is packed with case studies of invative projects including: * Phoenix Commotion-working together towards low-income home ownership through sweat equity and 100 percent recycled materials * HabeRae-revitalizing neighborhoods by creating urban infill using modern techlogy and sustainable and reclaimed materials * Builders of Hope-rescuing and rehabilitating whole houses slated for demolition These projects and others like them demonstrate that building one's own home does t have to be an unattainable dream. This beautifully illustrated guide is a must-read for anyone interested in creating quality zero- or low-debt housing, reducing landfill waste, and creating stronger communities. Jessica Kellner is the editor of Natural Home and Garden magazine and a passionate advocate of using architectural salvage to create aesthetically beautiful, low-cost housing.
- Author BiographyJessica Kellner: is Editor-in-Chief of Natural Home magazine (www.NaturalHomeMagazine.com) and a passionate advocate of using architectural salvage to create high-impact, low-cost, health-conscious housing. She writes and speaks about practical, easy and inexpensive solutions for healthier and more environmentally sound homes and lifestyles, with an emphasis on the values of recycling and using reclaimed materials. Inspired by common sense ways to achieve the good life, Jessica loves living and working in the overlap between modern technology and ancient wisdom.
- Author(s)Jessica Kellner
- PublisherNew Society Publishers
- Date of Publication20/10/2011
- Place of PublicationGabriola Island
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Society Publishers
- Out-of-print date13/12/2014
- Content Note24 color illustrations, 48 B&W illustrations, 8-page color section
- Weight428 g
- Width190 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.