All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
About this product
- Description<b>Ahost of local landmarks as they once looked alongside the same viewpoint photographed today</b> In 1836 revolutionaries routed the Mexican army at the Battle of San Jacinto and the nearby town took the name of the battle's victor, General Sam Houston. Sincethen Houston has become America's fourth largest city, and its magnificent cityscape of concrete, glass, and steel bears little resemblance to traditional Texas imagery. It was an entrepreneurial New York family who first promoted Houston's lush landscape and vast potential in the Northeast and Europe, and the town expanded from a handful of tents into a place ofmore than10,000 residents by 1900. Oil was discovered nearby in 1901 and from then on Houston never looked back.Sites includeCity Hall, Carnegie Library, Houston Courthouse, Merchants and Manufacturers Building, Allen's Landing, Houston Chronicle, Main and Preston, Sam Houston Hotel, <i>USS Texas</i>, San Jacinto Monument, Congress Avenue, Houston Water Works, Hermann Building, Texas Capitol Building, Majestic Metro, Old Cotton Exchange, Gulf Building, Moorish Federal Building, Carter s Folly, Kress Building, Union Station, Esperson Building, Antioch Church, Houston Light Guard Armory, Maglia Brewery, Grand Central Station, Rice University, Museum of Fine Arts, Hermann Park, Miller Outdoor Theatre, and Warwick Hotel.
- Author Biography<b>William Dylan Powell</b> is a regular contributor to the <i>Houston Chronicle</i> and the author of <i>Austin Then and Now</i>.He lives in Houston.
- Author(s)William Dylan Powell
- PublisherPavilion Books
- Date of Publication01/06/2014
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleThen and Now
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPavilion Books
- Weight993 g
- Width286 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.