All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnders Aslund is kwn to make bold predictions that initially arouse controversy but soon become common wisdom. In Gorbachev's Struggle for Ecomic Reform (1989), he foresaw the collapse of the Soviet political and ecomic system. After Russia's financial crisis of 1998, observers declared the market ecomic experiment a failure, Aslund foresaw market ecomic success (Building Capitalism, 2002). In How Capitalism Was Built, 2nd Edition, he asks - and answers for the twenty-one countries he investigates: * Why did communism collapse? * Why did Russia t choose gradual reforms like China did? * Wherein lies the relative success of postcommunist transformation? * How did the oligarchs arise and decline vis-...-vis authoritarian leaders? Anyone who wants to understand the often confusing postcommunist dramas and obtain an early insight into the future will find this intellectually stimulating book useful. This edition includes updates to each chapter and new chapters on the impact of the global financial crisis and the European Union.
- Author BiographyAnders Aslund is a leading specialist on postcommunist economic transformation with more than 35 years of experience in the field. The author of eleven books, he has also worked as an economic advisor to the Russian, Ukrainian and Kyrgyz governments. Dr Aslund joined the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington DC as a senior fellow in 2006. Before that he was the Director of the Russian and Eurasian Program at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. He teaches at Georgetown University. He earned his PhD from Oxford University. He was born in Sweden and served as a Swedish diplomat.
- Author(s)Anders Aslund
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication12/11/2012
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note45 b/w illus. 7 tables
- Weight710 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.