All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA respected professor of Buddhist philosophy brings readers on a fascinating journey through Buddhism s most animating ideas. Tom Tillemans, who has studied Buddhist philosophy since the 1970s, excels in bringing analytic and continental philosophy into conversation with thinkers in the Sanskrit and Tibetan traditions. This volume collects his writings on the most rarefied of Buddhist philosophical traditions, the Madhyamaka, and its radical insights into the nature of reality. Tillemans approach ranges from retelling the history of ideas, to considering implications of those ideas for practice, to formal appraisal of their proofs. The 12 essays (four of which are being published for the first time) are products of rich and sophisticated debates and dialogues with colleagues in the field.
- Author BiographyA Canadian by birth, Tom Tillemans began his academic career studying analytic philosophy before pursuing study of Chinese and Sanskrit in Swiss universities and Buddhism with lamas in India and Switzerland in the 1970s. For many years, while a professor at the University of Lausanne and a visiting professor at a number of other universities, he was coeditor of the Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies. Now an emeritus professor, he is editor in chief of 84000, an online translation of the Buddhist scriptures preserved in the Tibetan canon, and co-chair of the editorial board of the Studies in Indian and Tibetan Buddhism series.
- Author(s)Tom J. F Tillemans
- PublisherWisdom Publications,U.S.
- Date of Publication06/06/2016
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleStudies in Indian and Tibetan Buddhism
- Place of PublicationSomerville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWisdom Publications,U.S.
- Weight408 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $19.35New
- AU $7.78Used
- AU $21.21New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $14.03New
- AU $6.47Used
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $23.70New
- AU $11.12Used
- AU $19.95New
- AU $32.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.86Trending at AU $29.92
- AU $40.04Trending at AU $43.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $29.92
- AU $58.25Trending at AU $62.32
- AU $101.89Trending at AU $118.47
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.