All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlien worlds have long been a staple of science fiction. But today, thanks to modern astromical instrumentation and the achievements of many enterprising observational astromers, the existence of planets outside our solar system--also kwn as exoplanets--has moved into the realm of science fact. With planet hunters finding ever smaller, more Earth-like worlds, our understanding of the cosmos is forever changed, yet the question of how astromers make these discoveries often goes unanswered. How Do You Find an Exoplanet? is an authoritative primer on the four key techniques that today's planet hunters use to detect the feeble signals of planets orbiting distant stars. John Johnson provides you with an insider's perspective on this exciting cutting-edge science, showing how astromers detect the wobble of stars caused by the gravitational tug of an orbiting planet, the slight diminution of light caused by a planet eclipsing its star, and the bending of space-time by stars and their planets, and how astromers even directly take pictures of planets next to their bright central stars. Accessible to anyone with a basic foundation in college-level physics, How Do You Find an Exoplanet? sheds new light on the prospect of finding life outside our solar system, how surprising new observations suggest that we may t fully understand how planets form, and much more.
- Author BiographyJohn Asher Johnson is professor of astronomy at Harvard University.
- Author(s)John Asher Johnson
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication22/01/2016
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitlePrinceton Frontiers in Physics
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note1 halftone. 17 line illus.
- Weight314 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.79Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.