All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionOur understanding of the history of Buddhism in Southeast Asia has often been oversimplified, biased, or vague. The twelve invative essays presented here shed new light on terms such as sthavira, theravada, theriya, or theravasa, each of which may carry a variety of meanings and contations. Some of the contributors reconsider kwn data to present new and challenging perspectives on the complicated history of the Mahavihara and Abhayagiri schools in Sri Lanka, or the Indian historiographical tradition on the formation of Buddhist orders/schools (nikaya/acariyavada). Others stress the central role of lineages and their transmission, as well as the dynamic impulse that this problematic provokes in terms of long-distance exchanges. Topical inquiries based on epigraphical material reveal the force of institutional practices, or invite scholars to analyze the textual traditions of Southeast Asia more deeply, particularly its transitive mode of translation. Essays range across Buddhism in early Lanka, in Burma during the Pagan and Dhammachedi periods, in nineteenth-century Cambodia, and in Thailand from the late eighteenth- to early twentieth-centuries.
- Author BiographyPeter Skilling is special lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, honorary associate of the Department of Indian Sub-Continental Studies, University of Sydney, and Maitre de Conferences with the Ecole francaise d'Extreme-Orient, Bangkok. Jason A. Carbine is associate professor of religious studies at Whittier College. Claudio Cicuzza teaches religious studies at Webster University, Thailand. Santi Pakdeekham is assistant professor of Thai and Oriental languages at Srinakharinwirot University, Bangkok.
- PublisherSilkworm Books / Trasvin Publications LP
- Date of Publication11/09/2012
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationChiang Mai
- Country of PublicationThailand
- ImprintSilkworm Books
- Content Note150 illus., 60 in color
- Weight1066 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byClaudio Cicuzza,Jason A. Carbine,Peter Skilling,Santi Pakdeekham
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.