How We Got to Now: Six Innovations That Made the Modern World by Steven Johnson (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.68+ AU $7.50 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $8.90+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Steven Johnson, the bestselling author of Where Good Ideas Come From, comes How We Got to Now, the companion book to his five-part BBC TV series. How did the advent of refrigeration help create the golden age of Hollywood? How did the invention of flash photography help shift public opinion on the plight of New York's poorest inhabitants and bring about social reform? And what about our battle against dirt? How did that help create the microchips in our smartphones and computers? In How We Got to Now, Steven Johnson traces six essential invations that made the modern world; from their origins in ancient history to the techlogical advancements of recent years. A celebration of invation: this book shows how time and time again, big ideas coalesce out of smaller, incremental breakthroughs. Unlocking tales of the unsung heroes and unexpected scientific revolutions, this is the story of the ideas that changed the world and the way we live in it. Johnson is one of the world's best chroniclers of invation and in this book he brings a plethora of insights. (Matt Ridley, Sunday Times). Readable, entertaining, and a challenge to any jaded sensibility that has become inured to the everyday miracles all around us. (Peter Forbes, Guardian). Steven Johnson is the Darwin of techlogy. Through fascinating observations and insights, he enlightens us about the origin of ideas. (Walter Isaacson, author of Steve Jobs). Elegant, one of the most persuasive advocates for the role of collaboration in invation...Johnson's erudition can be quite gobsmacking. (Philip Delves Broughton, Wall Street Journal). Steven Johnson is the US bestselling author of Where Good Ideas Come From, The Invention of Air, The Ghost Map, and Everything Bad Is Good for You. He is the founder of a variety of influential websites - most recently, outside.in - and writes for Time, Wired, The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
- Author BiographySteven Johnson is the US bestselling author of Where Good Ideas Come From, Future Perfect, The Invention of Air, The Ghost Map, and Everything Bad Is Good for You. He is the founder of a variety of influential websites and has written for Time, Wired, The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal.
- Author(s)Steven Johnson
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication25/09/2014
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintParticular Books
- Out-of-print date31/10/2015
- Weight521 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.