All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt's Saturday morning on the Kwasi Reserve. The citizens are red-eyed and bleary, their shabby houses littered with empty bottles. But this Saturday is different. Last night while her parents partied, a baby girl died in her crib, her body crusted with filth and sores.
RCMP Corporal Thompson stirs up a hornet's nest when he charges the infant's parents with criminal neglest. But who, or what, really killed Annette Joseph? Tell us how a people die, one character says, and we can tell you how a people live.
When How a People Die appeared in 1970, its chilling picture of a culture mired in squalor caused an international sensation. Now, as a plague of substance abuse and suicide sweeps Canadian reserves, it is more timely than ever. In a new introduction, author Alan Fry offers alternatives to the bleak future he envisioned in How a People Die.
. . .required reading for anyone who is seriously concerned about the [present] social turmoil.
-Vine Deloria, author of Custer Died For Your Sins and God is Red
Come on Indians, dammit yes, read this book and get angry. -David Monture, Indian News
- Author(s)Alan Fry
- PublisherHarbour Publishing
- Date of Publication01/01/1994
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHarbour Publishing
- Weight349 g
- Width154 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.