All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTaking a fresh look at the Scottish involvement in the English Civil War, this fascinating take on a popular period of history focuses on how the Scots influenced the outcome of the first stage of the war, ending with the significant capture of Charles I. It follows one regiment in particular - Colonel Hugh Fraser's dragoons - from its creation through its actions at Marston Moor, which cleared the way for and made possible the success of the Scottish cavalry and Cromwell's Ironsides. It is through the dragoons' success there, and ability to save the right wing, that they arguably won the battle and the Civil War in Northern England. Following the regiment to its return to Scotland, eventual dissolution and the suspicious poisoning of its founder, the picture is completed of what could be one of the most important components of the Civil War. Alastair McRae expertly weaves a new narrative to the rich tapestry of Civil War history and would make anyone think twice about the event. utilising thirsty years of well-thought-out research, McRae puts forward a controversial but powerful case for the primacy of the war in the rth in the defeat of Charles I.
- Author BiographyAlisdair McRae is a Scottish historian and from 1979-2000 participated in and organized civil war battle and living history events in Britain, as well as 30 Years War displays in France and Germany.
- Author(s)Alisdair McRae
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note20 black & white illustrations, 16 black & white plates
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.