All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFinnish poetry is characterized by a powerful contact with nature. There is so much about Finland's long winters, sw and darkness in the established poetic can that when I came to compile this anthology I had to make a thematic choice: t too many poems of that kind. But you will certainly tice, dear reader, the abundance and energy of the seasons, the animals, the forests and lakes in these poems... from the Introduction, translated by David McDuff. Sumari's selection includes work by legendary Finnish modernists such as Paavo Haavikko (published by Carcanet) and Lassi Nummi; several prose poems, the prevalence of which in recent Finnish literature she discusses in her Introduction; and aphoristic poems. Twenty two of the poems included were written in Finnish, three in Finland-Swedish. The poets are: Gosta Agren, Kari Aronpuro, Bo Carpelan, Tua Forsstrom, Paavo Haavikko, Anne Hanninen, Hannu Helin, Markku Into, Eeva Kilpi, Eila Kivikk'aho, Juhani Koskinen, Jarkko Laine, Rakel Liehu, Arto Melleri, Lassi Nummi, Lauri Otonkoski, Markku Paasonen, Mirkka Rekola, Pentti Saarikoski, Helena Sinervo, Eira Stenberg, Anni Sumari, Arja Tiainen, Sirkka Turkka. Translators: David McDuff, Donald Adamson and Robin Fulton. How to Address the Fog is part of a series of bilingual poetry anthologies featuring twenty-five poems, one for each year from 1978-2002, from a particular European country. Poems are presented both in the original language and in new translations specially commissioned from Scottish poets. The book includes biographical and bibliographical information on the poets and translators.
- Author BiographyANNI SUMARI has published nine books of short stories and poetry, as well as a travelogue about a writers' train that toured Europe in 2000 (Junanaytelma, Train Play, 2001). In 1998 she was awarded Yleisradio's (the equivalent of the BBC) Tanssiva Karhu (Dancing Bear) Prize for the collection Mitta ja maara (Measure and Degree, 1998). Her poems have been translated into Swedish, Russian, German, French, English, Spanish and Lithuanian.
- Author(s)Bo Carpelan,Gosta Agren,Kari Aronpuro
- PublisherCarcanet Press Ltd
- Date of Publication31/03/2005
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCarcanet Press Ltd
- Out-of-print date15/07/2013
- Width126 mm
- Height195 mm
- Edited byAnni Sumari
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.24Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.