All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThree kinds of people ought to read this book. Firstly there are those who use statistics in their work: accountants, scientists, advertisers, marketers, politicians and journalists. If you are in one of these categories I would like to help you to maintain, or aspire to, a reasonable standard of honesty and integrity, so that people can trust what you say, and so that you do t even inadvertently mislead yourself as well as others. Secondly there are cynics who think statistics can never be trusted and are just tools used by liars. I want to show that they can be used properly, and also that with a little thought, we can all learn to spot the false or exaggerated claims, the n-sequitors, and the unsubstantiated assumptions. Then we will be able to see the truth when it appears. Thirdly, there are the huge number of ordinary people who get totally confused and sometimes, sadly, misled, by statistics. I want to help you make sense of what you read or hear, and be able to be confident in sorting the facts from the hype. It is for this third group that this book is really written. If the other two groups benefit, I will be glad, but if you are in this group, please read on. I hope you will enjoy it, but above all I hope it will empower you.
- Author BiographyJOHN HARVEY MURRAY After studying Economics and Accountancy at Bristol University, John worked in accountancy and audit in several types of local authority prior to becoming Insurance Officer at St Helens Council where he achieved considerable savings in the cost of insurance and risk, which results compared favourably with those of other authorities, according to independent sources. This was achieved by improving claims-handling and risk management as well as by restructuring the insurance programme. John also made changes to the Council's insurance tendering process in order to obtain the best value for the money spent on premiums. He is currently self-employed as JHM Risk Management Services, offering risk management and liability claims-handling services to businesses and other organisations, to enable owners and managers to save time and stress as well as money. John is a member of the accountancy body CIPFA, is a Registered Risk Practitioner with ALARM, and is a Specialist Member of the Institute of Risk Managers. John now offers data-protection both as stand-alone and as part of an integrated risk management service, and can help clients deal with claims arising from data breaches as well as from other sources.
- Author(s)MR John Harvey Murray
- Date of Publication18/04/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight73 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.