All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIN THIS AGE OF CONSTANT CONNECTIVITY, LEARN HOW TO ENJOY SOLITUDE AND FIND HAPPINESS WITHOUT OTHERS.Our fast-paced society does t approve of solitude; being alone is antisocial and some even find it sinister. Why is this so when automy, personal freedom, and individualism are more highly prized than ever before? In How to Be Alone, Sara Maitland answers this question by exploring changing attitudes throughout history. Offering experiments and strategies for overturning our fear of solitude, she helps us practice it without anxiety and encourages us to see the benefits of spending time by ourselves. By indulging in the experience of being alone, we can be inspired to find our own rewards and ultimately lead more enriched, fuller lives.
- Author BiographySara Maitland is the British author of numerous works of fiction, including the Somerset Maugham Award winning Daughter ofJerusalem, and several nonfiction books, including A Book of Silence. Born in 1950, she studied at Oxford University and lives in Galloway, Scotland.
- Author(s)Sara Maitland
- PublisherPicador USA
- Date of Publication02/09/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Series TitleSchool of Life
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPicador USA
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width117 mm
- Height180 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.