All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHoward Hawks (1896-1977) is one of America's great film directors. During a career that spanned fifty years and produced more than forty films, this writer, producer, and director made highly successful movies and managed to maintain remarkable artistic control during a time when studio moguls usually ruled. Hawks conquered virtually every genre, including action/adventure, comedy, western, film ir, gangster, science fiction, and musical films. The remarkable diversity of his work may have kept Hawks from being as easily recognized as his contemporaries Alfred Hitchcock and John Ford. Hawks brought a unique stamp to all of his films by mixing dramatic and comedic elements, manipulating gender conventions, emphasizing story and dialogue, and eschewing cinematic trickery and sentimentality. His classic oeuvre includes films such as Scarface, Only Angels Have Wings, His Girl Friday, Sergeant York, Bringing Up Baby, The Big Sleep, Red River, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, and Rio Bravo. This collection of interviews takes the reader from talks with his admirers in the French press to revealing discussions late in his life. By his own admission, Hawks was above all a storyteller. These interviews are replete with entertaining anecdotes. Howard Hawks: Interviews is a diverse collection offering valuable access to the life and career of one of the most fiercely independent filmmakers in the history of Hollywood. Scott Breivold is an associate librarian at California State University, Los Angeles, and director of the university library's music and media center.
- Author BiographyScott Breivold is an associate librarian at California State University, Los Angeles, and Director of the library's music and media centre.
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication28/02/2006
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Notechronology & filmography
- Weight381 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byScott Breivold
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $52.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.