All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.97
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe ability to diagse cancer by simple measurement of a serum or tissue' 'marker has been a goal of medical science for many years. There is ample evidence that tumor cells are different from rmal cells and pro- duce substances that can be detected by currently available immu- chemical or biochemical methods. These cancer markers may be se- creted proteins, enzymes, hormones, fetal serum components, moclonal immuglobulins, cell surface components, or cytoplasmic constituents. The purpose of this book is to present the current status of our kwledge of such cancer markers. The first tumor marker identified by laboratory means was Bence- Jones protein. In a series of lectures delivered to the Royal College of Phy- sicians in London in 1846, Dr. H. Bence Jones described studies on a urine sample sent to him with the following te: Dear Dr. Jones-The tube contains urine of very high specific gravity. When boiled it becomes slightly opaque ...etc. Dr. Jones found that heating of the urine after addition of nitric acid resulted in formation of a heavy precipitate; acid ad- dition may have been required to bring the urine to pH 4-6 at which Bence Jones proteins are more likely to precipitate when heated. This urinary pre- cipitate was associated with a bone disease termed mollities ossium. [H. Bence Jones, Papers on Chemical Pathology, Lecture III. Lancet 2, 269-274 (1847)].
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication20/04/1982
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleContemporary Biomedicine
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1780 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byBritta Wahren,Stewart Sell
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.