All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHume's Dialogues provide a classic exposition and critique of the famous 'Argument to Design', the attempt to prove the existence and properties of a designing intelligence or God from the phemena of Nature, tably the functional contrivance of the parts of plants and animals. As such, it raises questions of central interest in both philosphy and theology. Philosophers will be concerned with the implications of strict empiricism for our claims to kw anything of the existence and properties of God, and with it the associated threat of scepticism. Theologians will be concerned about the possibility of natural theology and the problematic relation between natural theology and the claims of revealed religions such as Christianity. This book will follow the layout of the Reader's Guide Series In 'Context', Pyle will explain the philosophical and theological background against which the book was written, including what is meant by 'natural' religion introduce hte reader to Enlightenment views on religion. 'Overview of Themes' will address the question of why Hume chose to write in dialogue form, sketch out the views of the three characters and introduce the questions they address. The 'Reading the Text' section will take take the 12 parts of Dialogues in turn and guide the reader throuhg the issues thrown up. Discussion points and questions will focus thinking and encourage the reader to engage with the primary text. 'Reception and Influence' will include discussion of Hume's influence on Kant and hte debates about Darwinism.
- Author BiographyAndrew Pyle is Senior Lecturer in Philosophy at the University of Bristol, UK.
- Author(s)Andrew Pyle
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication05/10/2006
- Series TitleReader's Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight198 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.