All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInuit hunting traditions are rich in perceptions, practices and stories relating to animals and human beings. Laugrand and Oosten examine key figures such as the raven, an animal that has a central place in Inuit culture as a creator and a trickster, and qupirruit, a category consisting of insects and other small life forms. After these n-social and inedible animals, the authors discuss the dog, the companion of the hunter, and the fellow hunter, the bear, considered to resemble a human being. A discussion of the renewal of whale hunting accompanies the chapters about animals considered prey par excellence : the caribou, the seals, and the whale, symbol of the whole. The volume concludes with a comparative analysis of the ethgraphic data presented in the book.
- Author BiographyFrederic Laugrand is Professor in the Department of Anthropology, Universite Laval and Director of the journal Anthropologie et Societes. He is the author of Mourir et Renaitre. La Reception du Christianisme par les Inuit de l'Arctique de l'Est Canadien (PUL, 2002) andco-author with Jarich Oosten of Inuit Shamanism and Christianity: Transitions and Transformations in the XXth Century (MQUP, 2009), The Ethnographical Recordings of Inuit Oral Traditions by Father Guy. Mary-Rousseliere (2010), Between Heaven and Earth. The Recollections of Felix Kupak (2012). Jarich Oosten is Emeritus Professor in the Department of Anthropology at Leiden University, The Netherlands. He is the author of The War of the Gods: The Social Code in Indo-European Mythology (Routledge and Kegan, 1985). He and Frederic Laugrand have co-edited books in three different series at the Nunavut Arctic College. The two have co-authored Apostle to the Inuit (University of Toronto Press, 2006), The Sea Woman (Alaska University Press, 2009) and Hardships of the Past: Recollections of Arviat Elders (2011).
- Author(s)Frederic Laugrand,Jarich Oosten
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication15/11/2014
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Note34 illus.
- Weight454 g
- Width157 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.