All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe year is 1684. Twelve-year-old Eustache Breman leaves behind a life of misery begging on the streets of France for a second chance in the New World with his mom, his sweetheart Marie-Elisabeth, and Marie-Elisabeth's family. But life is tough, with plenty more tragedy and disappointment to come on De La Salle's ill-fated expedition to the Mississippi. Join Eustache as he comes of age in Louisiana, all in a sparkling English translation that's every bit as modern and playful as Camille Bouchard's original French. Squabbling leaders, bloodthirsty freebooters, and a hostile Karankawa nation make for heartbreaking adventure--and occasional proof that all sorrows end up diluted in the concerns of everyday life. This action-packed young adult vel weaves real historical events and important themes into the day-to-day concerns of a young boy. It is written simply and well, posing some troubling questions along the way. Will God answer Eustache's prayers or punish him for his actions? Will young love conquer all? Or will the men's true nature be revealed and bring about their downfall?
- Author BiographyCamille Bouchard transports readers, young and old, across continents and epochs. A writer and an adventurer, he never stops writing and travelling. He has won Canada's Governor General's award and has been a finalist five times. He is the author of more than 80 novels for readers of all ages. Some of his works also appear on international selection lists, including the White Ravens International List of Honor. With Hunting for the Mississippi, he tells a story inspired by stupidities of seventeenth-century explorers and their dramatic consequences. This is the first book by Camille Bouchard to appear in English. Peter McCambridge is a full-time, award-winning literary translator. Originally from Ireland, he holds a BA in modern languages from Cambridge University. He has lived in Quebec City since 2003. He founded and heads the Quebec Reads webzine and now runs QC Fiction, a publishing imprint of contemporary Quebec literature in translation.
- Author(s)Camille Bouchard
- PublisherBaraka Books
- Date of Publication30/08/2016
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBaraka Books
- Weight259 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byPeter McCambridg
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.14
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.50
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.68
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $19.97
- AU $56.19Trending at AU $59.28
- AU $21.84Trending at AU $24.73
- AU $15.99Trending at AU $21.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.