All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $46.87
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.10Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
About this product
- Description...a most welcome book ...Reading this book should irrevocably change how one looks at an ethgraphic exhibit ...These wide-ranging articles ...augment our understanding of museums and their objects ...Overall, this is a rich collection of essays, brimming with data and, for the most part, cogently analysed. * JRAI Between the 1870s and the 1930s competing European powers carved out and consolidated colonies in Melanesia, the most culturally diverse region of the world. As part of this process, great assemblages of ethgraphic artefacts were made by a range of collectors whose diversity is captured in this volume. The contributors to this tightly-integrated volume take these collectors, and the collecting institutions, as the departure point for accounts that look back at the artefact-producing societies and their interaction with the collectors, but also forward to the fate of the collections in metropolitan museums, as the artefacts have been variously exhibited, neglected, re-conceived as indigeus heritage, or repatriated. In doing this, the contributors raise issues of current interest in anthropology, Pacific history, art history, museology, and material culture. Michael O'Hanlon is Director of the Pitt Rivers Museum, University of Oxford. Robert L. Welsch teaches at the Department of Anthropology, Dartmouth, New Hampshire.
- Author BiographyMichael O'Hanlon is Director of the Pitt Rivers Museum, University of Oxford. Robert L. Welsch teaches at the Department of Anthropology, Dartmouth, New Hampshire.
- PublisherBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Date of Publication01/10/2001
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleMethodology & History in Anthropology
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 6
- Place of PublicationHerndon
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBerghahn Books, Incorporated
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight357 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byMichael O'Hanlon,Robert L. Welsch
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.