Brand newLOWEST PRICE
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInside the closed community of Borough Park, where most Chassidim live, the rules of life are determined by an ancient script written thousands of years before-and abuse has never been a part of it. But when thirteenyear- old Gittel learns of the abuse her best friend has suffered at the hands of her own family member, the adults in her community try to convince Gittel, and themselves, that thing happened. Forced to remain silent, Gittel begins to question everything she was raised to believe. A nuanced exploration of a complex world, one of both humor and depth, understanding and horror, this story illuminates the conflict between yesterday's traditions and today's reality
- Author BiographyEISHES CHAYIL is a pseudonym meaning woman of valor, chosen by JUDY BROWN when Hush was first published because of feared backlash from her community. Since publication, Judy's identity has been revealed, she has left the Chassidic community, and she has been profiled in The New York Times Magazine. Judy was raised in a world of Chassidic schools, synagogues, and summer camps and is a direct descendant of the major founders of and leaders in the Chassidic world. She holds a master's degree in creative writing and has worked as a journalist for several international Orthodox newspapers. She lives in New York City.
- PrizesCommended for Volunteer State Book Awards: High School Division 2012.
- Author(s)Eishes Chayil
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing USA
- Date of Publication08/11/2012
- SubjectYoung Adult Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWalker & Co
- Weight339 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Reading AgeFrom 14
- Interest AgeFrom 14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.