All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first in-depth examination of half-Japanese girls in Japan focusing on ethnic, gendered and embodied 'hybrid' identities. Challenging the myth of Japan as a single-race society, these girls are seen struggling to positively maeuvre themselves and negotiate their identities into positions of contestation and control over marginalizing discourses which disempower them as 'others' within Japanese society as they begin to mature. Paradoxically, at other times, within more empowering alternative discourses of ethnicity, they also enjoy and celebrate cultural, symbolic, social and linguistic capital which they discursively create for themselves as they come to terms with their constructed identities of Japaneseness , whiteness and halfness/doubleness . This book has a colourful storyline throughout - narrated in the girls' own voices - that follows them out of childhood and into the rapid physical and emotional growth years of early adolescence.
- Author BiographyLaurel D. Kamada is a Lecturer Professor at Tohoku University in Japan. She has published in such areas as: bilingualism and multiculturalism in Japan; gender and ethnic studies; marginalised (hybrid and gendered) identities in Japan; and discourses of ethnic embodiment and masculinity. Her other interests include theoretical and methodological discourse analytic approaches to the examination of identity. She serves on the editorial board of the Japan Journal of Multilingualism and Multiculturalism and is on the Advisory Council of the International Gender and Language Association.
- Author(s)Laurel D. Kamada
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication23/12/2009
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleCritical Language and Literacy Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 7
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight357 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.99Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.