All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCharismatic leadership in its extreme manifestations resembles a hyptic situation in which the followers lose their automic judgment. Popper compares leadership to fire. The leader is the spark, the followers the fuel, and the circumstances the oxygen that feeds the flames. Fire can destroy everything in its path, and such a strong fire is a metaphor for what is described as Hyptic Leadership. Describing examples of hyptic leadership and using theories and concepts from psychology and the social sciences, Dr. Popper begins by providing three examples of leaders defined as hyptic, whose spheres of influence ranged from a small group to millions of people. He then looks at the object of the hyptism, the followers, demonstrating the psychological meaning of the yearning for a leader. While describing this as a possible general condition, Popper qualifies the universality of the argument, referring to differences between cultures in the attitudes toward authority or the ability to tolerate ambiguity. These differences are of great significance in terms of the susceptibility of being hyptized by a charismatic leader. Popper then examines the meeting of factors that create the drama of hyptic leadership, presenting the central concepts that are used in analyzing the phemen, and demonstrating their use with reference to examples cited and the analysis of the processes in a broad perspective. This is a provocative analysis for students and scholars of leadership and psycho-dynamic processes.
- Author BiographyMICHA POPPER is a lecturer in the Departments of Psychology and Education at the University of Haifa and a director of the Center for Outstanding Leadership. A former head of the School for Leadership Development of the Israel Defense Forces, Dr. Popper has published two earlier books and numerous articles on leadership issues.
- Author(s)Micha Popper
- Date of Publication30/03/2001
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight328 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.