All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHail, humble Helpstone ... Where dawning genius never met the day, Where useless igrance slumbers life away Unkwn r heeded, where low genius tries Above the vulgar and the vain to rise. --from Helpstone I Am : The Selected Poetry of John Clare is the first anthology of the great peasant poet 's remarkable verse that makes available the full range of his accomplishments. Here are the different Clares that have beguiled readers for two centuries: the tender chronicler of nature and childhood; the champion of folkways in the face of oppression; the passionate, sweet-tongued love-poet; and the lonely visionary confined, in old age and senility, to asylums.
- Author BiographyJohn Clare (1793-1864) lived all his life in rural Northamptonshire. He is widely celebrated as one of England's great nature and folklife writers. Jonathan Bate is the author of Shakespeare and Ovid (1993) and The Genius of Shakespeare (1997). He is Leverhulme Research Professor and King Alfred Professor of English at the University of Warwick.
- Author(s)John Clare
- PublisherFarrar Straus Giroux
- Date of Publication15/11/2003
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar Straus Giroux
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width137 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byProfessor of Shakespeare and Renaissance Literature Jonathan Bate
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.99Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.