All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first in the I See the Sun Series, readers follow a young girl as she travels from a small town in China to the city of Shanghai to spend time with her aunt. The unspoken message of this book is the movement from the old to the new, while still maintaining some connections with the past. It depicts some of the many choices available in China today, and the drive to be successful in a modern world. The story provides a unique introduction to the culture, family life and language of China in a way that is age-appropriate and sensitive to the true environment. Children will be able to recognize the similarities as well as the differences between their own culture and the culture of modern China. Written in both English and Mandarin Chinese, I See the Sun in China is beautifully illustrated with warm, engaging collages made from photographs, colorful paper cut-outs, and drawings. Includes country overview and glossary of unfamiliar terms. For ages 5 and up.
- Author BiographyAuthor, Dedie King, a Peace Corps volunteer in Nepal, also taught school there. She travels extensively and spends a considerable amount of time, not as a tourist, but immersed in many cultures, living with families who open their homes to her. She holds a MEd and has taught elementary school and children with learning disabilities. Her interest in writing books about different cultures is to bring awareness to young children of both the sameness and the differences of cultures around the world. Judith Inglese has been designing and fabricating ceramic tile murals for public environments for more than thirty years. Her commissions include libraries, schools, hospitals and municipal and institutional buildings like the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. Her murals often focus on the play and imagination of children as well as cross-cultural exchange and community. In the I See the Sun books, she combines photography, cut paper and drawing in her collage illustrations. Like her ceramic tile murals, her illustrations are colorful and detailed with strong forms and line work.
- Author(s)Dedie King
- PublisherSatya House Publications Inc
- Date of Publication20/06/2014
- SubjectPicture Books
- Place of PublicationHardwick
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSatya House Publications Inc
- Content Noteillus
- Weight314 g
- Width222 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Illustrator(s)Judith Inglese
- Translated byZhang Yan
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.