All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionI am a girl, 13 years old, and a proper broncho buster. I can cook and do housework, but I just love to ride. In letters written to the children's pages of newspapers, we hear the clear and authentic voices of real children who lived in rural Canada and Newfoundland between 1900 and 1920. Children tell us about their families, their schools, jobs and communities and the suffering caused by the terrible costs of World War I. We read of shared common experiences of isolation, hard work, few amenities, limited educational opportunities, restricted social life and heavy responsibilities, but also of satisfaction over skills mastered and work performed. Though often hard, children's lives reflected a hopeful and expanding future, and their letters recount their skills and determination as well as family lore and community histories. Children both make and participate in history, but until recently their role has been largely igred. In I Want to Join Your Club, Lewis provides direct evidence that children's lives, like adults', have both continuity and change and form part of the warp and woof of the social fabric.
- Author BiographyNorah L. Lewis taught in the Faculty of Education at the University of British Columbia and in the Faculties of English at Jiaotong University, Shanghai, and at Zhongshan University, Canton.
- PublisherWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/1996
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleLife Writing
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 2
- Place of PublicationWaterloo, Ontario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight369 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byNorah L. Lewis
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.