All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe fascination we have as humans with our ability to do evil, witness the evidence of horror and stare fixedly at photographic, filmic or artefacts connected with death, is at the heart of the phemen kwn as 'Dark Tourism'. These images are about much more than tourism and the visiting of such sites, they challenge the nature of our behaviour, our history and our societies' relationship with evil and mortality. They are a testament to our past, to our inability to move beyond it and our curious relationship with tragedy and death. - from the introduction by J.J. Lenn Ambroise Tezenas has visited over a dozen major sites of dark tourism across the world - from Cambodia to Rwanda, Leban to Lithuania, Ukraine to the United States. These are sites developed for tourism and linked to death, assassination, incarceration, mass killing and tragedy. Yet dark tourism is t a new phemen and similar sites have attracted human interest for many years. From the gladiatorial combats of ancient Rome through to attendance at public executions in London of the 1600s, it seems that death and disaster have maintained a lasting appeal.
- Author BiographyBorn in Paris, Ambroise Tezenas gained international recognition through his first book, 'Beijing, Theatre of the People', which won the European Publisher's Award for Photography in 2006. Shortlisted for the Prix de Academie des Beaux-Arts and the Prix Pictet Prize, his work has been exhibited widely in Europe and features regularly in major international publications, including the New York Times Magazine and The New Yorker. His work is held in the Bibliotheque Nationale de France public collection. Ambroise Tezenas is represented by Galerie Melanie Rio in France.
- Author(s)Ambroise Tezenas,J. John Lennon
- PublisherDewi Lewis Publishing
- Date of Publication01/10/2014
- Place of PublicationStockport
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDewi Lewis Publishing
- Content Note92 colour plates
- Weight1542 g
- Width245 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.51
- AU $21.35Trending at AU $22.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.