All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat comfort can an agstic give people who are suffering or dying? Looking for more meaning in his work, Johannes Klabbers gave up a tenured academic position to spend his days caring for the sick and dying. He trained as a secular pastoral carer in a cancer hospital, and from the patients there he learned how simply talking and listening can provide comfort: from chatting about the football to discussing life's meaning and how one prepares for death. I Am Here is a frank, moving, and sometimes funny record of his encounters. It gives an unforgettable insight into the variety of ways people cope with suffering, and suggests how we can support them - through caring, through conversation, and by ackwledging that although we may t be able to answer all of life's questions, we can face them together. From one of the saddest places comes this powerful affirmation of our capacity for humane care.
- Author BiographyIn London during the heyday of punk, Johannes Klabbers shared the stage with legends like Siouxie and the Banshees, The Slits and XTC, before escaping to Australia to do a PhD in art and becoming an academic. Now, as an author and posthumanist therapist, he writes and talks with people about how to have a life, and what it means to die.
- Author(s)Johannes Klabbers
- PublisherScribe Publications
- Date of Publication14/07/2016
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationCarlton North
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintScribe Publications
- Width135 mm
- Height210 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps,B-format paperback
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.