All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYour country Needs You! was the poster slogan that shouted out to many during the First World War. And indeed, it did. As men of all ages joined the Forces and left their homes and jobs, so those left behind were forced to step up and take their place. Food shortages, rationing, the First Blitz and the appearance of women in the workplace all became familar. Drawing on the archives of the Imperial War Museum, author Terry Charman presents a lively portrait of life on the Home Front in the First World War. Filled with absorbing first-hand accounts taken from diaries, letters and newspaper reports, the changing life in Britain between 1914 and 1918 is revealed in vivid and immensely personal detail by the people who actually lived through it. From the draconian effects of DORA (Defence of the Realm Act) to the threat of Zeppelin raids, to government propaganda and the power of the press, The First World War on the Home Front recalls how the people of Britain t only faced up to the threats to their country but also prepared for the fact that life in Britain would never be the same.
- Author BiographyTerry Charman is the Senior Historian at the Imperial War Museum, where he has worked since 1974. He is a frequent lecturer on the First and Second World Wars and has contributed to magazines and journals on a range of related topics. He is the author of The German Home Front 1939-45 and Outbreak: The World Goes to War. He has also acted as a consultant on films and TV and radio documentaries and programmes, such as Foyle's War and Schindler's List. He lives in Tunbridge Wells.
- Author(s)Terry Charman
- PublisherCarlton Books Ltd
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAndre Deutsch Ltd
- Weight295 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.