All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGreatly anticipated and sorely needed, this book updates the successful guide to North American mosquitoes published by the American Mosquito Control Association in 1981. It includes 12 new species that have since been added to the North American mosquito fauna, revised distribution maps of all species, and revised and completely illustrated identification keys for the adult females and fourth instar larvae of all 174 species and subspecies kwn to occur in North America, rth of Mexico. In chapters on adult and larval morphology, the coauthors-both world-rewned in their field of taxomy-discuss the anatomical structures mentioned in the keys and pictured on full-page plates. They provide separate generic keys for adult females and larvae and keys to the species of each genus. In addition, they show the geographical distribution of each taxon in a series of maps and include a sypsis of the occurrence of species in the states and provinces of the United States and Canada. This book's usefulness to mosquito control programs cant be overestimated. For example, it deals with 9 exotic species that have been introduced and today successfully thrive in North America. Several are increasing their range and this book will help identify these species when they first invade an area. Because of the occurrence of mosquito-borne diseases and the widespread distribution of mosquitoes as pests to humans, professionals must kw how to identify them. With its wealth of up-to-date information, this book is the only one of its kind available for specialists working on mosquito-borne diseases and in mosquito control units and for both introductory and advanced students who study entomology.
- Author BiographyRichard F. Darsie Jr is a research entomologist at the Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory at the University of Florida, USA. Ronald A. Ward was a medical entomologist at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Washington, D.C., before his retirement. Both authors have published extensively in such journals as Mosquito Systematics and the Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association.
- Author(s)Ronald A. Ward
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication30/09/2016
- SubjectLife Sciences: Zoology
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Note1045 black & white illustrations, 168 distribution maps
- Weight921 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.