All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection of articles is a sociolinguistic response to the recent explosion of scholarly interest in issues of identity. Identity is central to all human beings as we are all concerned with how to conceive of ourselves, present ourselves and comprehend our relationships with others. The book tackles the problem of how personal identity is made visible and intelligible to others through language, and how this may be constrained. Part One, Emblematic identities, focuses on the construction of self-definitions based on various forms of group identities, including national and ethnic ones. Part Two, Multicultural Identities, looks at negotiation of identities in multicultural contexts involving relations of power, drawing on examples from Europe and the Americas. Finally, Part Three, Emergent Identities, collects empirical studies based on a close reading of texts in which identities are being articulated and negotiated. (Hanna Pulaczewska, University of Regensburg).
- Author BiographyKamila Ciepiela holds an MA in English Studies and PhD in English Linguistics from the University of Lodz (Poland) where she lectures on General and Applied Linguistics and EFL. She has trained teachers of English and has taught EFL students at University of Lodz, Academy of Management in Lodz, Jan Kochanowski University in Piotrkov Trybunalski. Her research interests span issues of the self and identity in second/foreign language learning and teaching, and how the two are embedded in different discourse practices. The author is particularly interested in linguistic performance of the self.
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/06/2011
- Series TitleLodz Studies in Language
- Series Part/Volume Number23
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note99, tables
- Weight410 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byKamila Ciepiela
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.