All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUsing the case study of the Kadazan of Sabah, a region in the Malaysian section of Borneo, this book examines national, ethnic and local identities in post-colonial states. It shows the importance of the connection between lived experience and identity and belonging, and by doing so, provides a deeper and fuller explanation of the apparently contradictory conflict between different collective forms of identification and the way in which they are employed in reference to everyday situations. Based on ethgraphic fieldwork and historical analysis, the book reconstructs the development of the cultural forms and labels associated with the collective identities it studies. The author employs an approach that sees collective identification as an expression of everyday practices and that stresses the importance of participation and familiarity between forms of identification and lived experience. In this context, he considers anthropological debates about state-mirities relations and issues of 'dignity' and 'respect'. Explaining state-mirity relations in Malaysia and more generally in other post-colonial realities, the insights presented are highly relevant to other cases of conflicting allegiances and identity politics in settings of post-colonial nation-building.
- Author BiographyFausto Barlocco studied at Roehampton and SOAS and received his PhD from Loughborough University, UK. He has taught Social Science at Nottingham Trent International College, UK, and is now an independent researcher.
- Author(s)Fausto Barlocco
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/11/2013
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleThe Modern Anthropology of Southeast Asia
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note10 black & white halftones
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.