All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn anthology of Latin American football fiction. Eleven stories, one from each country in the South American World Cup qualifying group, plus Mexico (following a precedent set by the Copa America). Idols and Underdogs includes some of the most prestigious names in Latin American literature. A hymn to the juego bonito, these short stories demonstrate, in stark contrast to its European counterpart, just how connected South American football is to its roots in the backstreets, barrios and favelas. Including Juan Viloro (Mexico), Edmundo Paz Soldan (Bolivia), Ricardo Silva Romero (Colombia), Sergio Sant'Anna (Brazil), Sergio Galarza (Peru), Selva Almada (Argentina), Carlos Abin (Uruguay), Roberto Fuentes (Chile), Miguel Higaldo Prince (Venezuela), Jose Higaldo Pallares (Ecuador), and Javier Viveros (Paraguay), this is a who's who of Latin fiction. Also contains author interviews, charting personal views on football and its intersections with politics, literature, and wider culture. Translated from Por amor a la pelota: Once cracks de la ficcion.
- Author BiographyShawn Stein's work has been published in Chasqui, Hispania, Revista de Literatura Mexicana and Studies in Latin American Popular Culture. Nicolas Campisi is a graduate student at Brown University.
- PublisherFreight Books
- Date of Publication10/05/2016
- Languagepor, spa
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationGlasgow
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFreight Books
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Edited byNicolas Campisi,Shawn Stein
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.