All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe municipal borough of Ilford, in rtheast London, grew from a sleepy Essex backwater in the 17th century to become a major coaching town, thanks to its strategic position on the London-Colchester road. Its growth continued through the early and mid-nineteenth century with the arrival of the railway and Ilford became established as a regional industrial centre, home to the eponymous photographic film and chemicals manufacturer, Ilford Photo, and radio, electronics and telecommunications company, Plessey. The extension of the Central Line service after the Second World War brought further expansion before Ilford was absorbed into the Borough of Redbridge as part of Greater London, in 1965. All these changes are captured in this unique selection of old and new images and informative captions, compiled by London author Michael Foley, and is essential reading for anybody who kws and loves Ilford.
- Author BiographyMichael Foley is a local author who has had a number of articles published in magazines such as Best of British, This England and The Great War. He has been writing for some time and has had many books published, mainly about the area where he lives and Essex and Military History. He lives in Romford.
- Author(s)Michael Foley
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication12/05/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleThrough Time
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.