All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom its scenic vantage point on the North Devon coast, the seaside town of Ilfracombe has seen many changes in its long history. In this unique selection of old and new images from the archives of the Ilfracombe Museum, many of which are previously unpublished photographs, the reader is invited to share a stalgic glimpse of Ilfracombe in days gone by. Its situation as the only port on a long stretch of dangerous coast made it ideal for smaller trading ships and fishing vessels who docked in the harbour to load and unload their cargo, while the clear sea air made the town a popular destination for tourists from the cities. We explore the hotels, theatres, halls and public rooms where the crowds were entertained, and visit the streets and lanes, houses, schools, shops and people that have played a part in shaping the town of today. Accompanied by informative and detailed text, this outstanding collection offers a valuable record of the past that is sure to appeal to both residents and visitors alike.
- Author BiographyPeter Christie is a lecturer at Petroc College where he teaches Geography and Oral History. He is the senior district and town councillor and has twice been Mayor of Bideford and is currently Chairman of the Bideford Bridge Trust. He was the Reviews Editor of The Local Historian for 12 years and has published over 1000 articles on the history of North Devon. A long time writer for local newspapers he currently runs the 'Yesteryear' page in the North Devon Journal. This is his twentieth book. Graham Hobbs has been a photographer for 30yrs and has won many awards which is listed on his website ref awards and achievements www.grahamhobbsphotography.co.uk. His work appears often in newspapers, magazines, books, calendars, greeting cards, and on websites. He has worked alongside actors, artist, world record breakers, TV personalities, authors and members of government. He was the appointed official photographer for HRH Princess Anne visit to north Devon (website). He has received worldwide recognition for a good commercial eye. Main Judge for the north Devon heritage photographic competition. For more info Google - Graham Hobbs Bideford.
- Author(s)Graham Hobbs,Peter Christie
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/11/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note182, 91 colour illustrations
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.