All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLong before he was the taco seller whose 'Gringo Dog' recipe made him famous throughout Mexico City, our hero was an aspiring artist: an artist, that is, till his would-be girlfriend was stolen by Diego Rivera, and his dreams snuffed out by his hypochondriac mother. Now our hero is resident in a retirement home, where fending off boredom is far more gruelling than making tacos. Plagued by the literary salon that bumps about his building's lobby and haunted by the self-pitying ghost of a neglected artist, Villalobos' old man can't help but misbehave: he antagonises his neighbours, tortures American missionaries with passages from Ador, and flirts with the revolutionary greengrocer. A delicious take-down of pretensions to cultural posterity, I'll Sell You a Dog is a comic vel whose absurd inventions, scurrilous antics and oddball characters are vintage Villalobos.
- Author BiographyJuan Pablo Villalobos was born in Guadalajara, Mexico, in 1973. He's the author of Down the Rabbit Hole (2011) and Quesadillas (2013), both published by And Other Stories. His novels have been translated into fifteen languages. He writes for several publications including Letras Libres, Gatopardo, Granta and the English Pen blog, and translates Brazilian literature into Spanish. He lived in Barcelona for several years, then moved to Brazil, and is now back in Spain. He is married with two Mexican-Brazilian-Italian-Catalan children. ---------- Rosalind Harvey was born in Bristol in 1982. Her translation of Juan Pablo Villalobos's novel Down the Rabbit Hole was shortlisted for the Guardian First Book Award and the Oxford-Weidenfeld Prize. She runs regular translation-related public events in the UK and is a founding member and chair of the Emerging Translators Network, an advice and support network for early-career literary translators.
- Author(s)Juan Pablo Villalobos
- PublisherAnd Other Stories
- Date of Publication04/08/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationHigh Wycombe
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnd Other Stories
- Weight272 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byRosalind Harvey
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $89.13Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.