All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionElizabeth Simpson Inchbald (1753-1821) was one of the leading literary figures of the late eighteenth century - an actress, a successful play-wright and editor of several collections of plays, a popular velist, and a drama critic. Considered a beautiful, independent woman, Inchbald was much involved in the theatrical, literary, and publishing life of London. Elizabeth Simpson ran away from home at age eighteen to seek fame as an actress in London and quickly married Joseph Inchbald, an actor twice her age. They toured the stage together until his sudden death in 1779. She made her London stage debut a year later, and her writing debut came in 1784 with the play The Mogul Tale; Or, The Descent of the Balloon. Over the next two decades she wrote or adapted twenty-one plays: comedies, farces, and works from French and German, including the version of Kotzebue's Lovers' Vows, later used in Jane Austen's Mansfield Park. Inchbald's acclaimed first vel, A Simple Story, prefigured the work of later women writers such as Austen. Using material from Inchbald's own pocket books detailing her daily life (she destroyed most of her letters and journals late in her life at the advice of her Catholic confessor) as well as a wealth of other sources, Annibel Jenkins tells for the first time t only the full story of Mrs. Inchbald's life but also provides a fascinating look at the society and politics, both public and private, of London in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
- Author BiographyAnnibel Jenkins, professor emerita of English at the Georgia Institute of Technology, is the author of several books, including Nicholas Rowe, and many articles on eighteenth-century literature and culture.
- Author(s)Annibel Jenkins
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication31/12/2002
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content Note15 illustrations
- Weight966 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.