All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionThis book aims to present trompe-l'/il painting, which epitomizes the myth of the illusionistic image - an early modern way of thinking about pictures, according to which it is possible to create an image identical to what it represents that at the same time preserves its own pictorial identity. Trompe-l'/il, despite being a marginal genre, embodied an ideal that painting should attain, and therefore is a good point of departure for analyzing issues such as (aesthetic) illusion in art. As the myth undermines Plato's aesthetics, it is his philosophy of art, with its dichotomies of appearance/reality or mimesis/diegesis that offers the most useful context for the discussion of this topic and shows that trompe-l'/il is a playful and ironic genre, which has cognitive value as well.
- Author BiographyMateusz Salwa graduated in art history and philosophy from the University of Warsaw, obtained a PhD and since then has been working as an assistant professor at the Chair of Aesthetics, Institute of Philosophy at the University of Warsaw.
- Author(s)Mateusz Salwa
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication02/04/2014
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleModernity in Question Studies in Philosophy and History of Ideas
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byKatarzyna Pisarek
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.