All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Vogue Best Book of the Year What Ferrante did for female friends exploring the tumult and complexity their relationships could hold Spiegelman sets out to do for mothers and daughters. She s essentially written My Brilliant Mom. Slate A memoir of mothers and daughters and mothers as daughters traced through four generations, from Paris to New York and back again. For a long time, Nadja Spiegelman believed her mother was a fairy. More than her famous father, Mauscreator Art Spiegelman, and even more than most mothers, hers French-bornNew Yorkerart director Francoise Mouly exerted a force over reality that was both dazzling and daunting. As Nadja s body changed and began to whisper to the adults around me in a language I did t understand, their relationship grew tense. Unwittingly, they were replaying a drama from her mother s past, a drama Nadja sensed but had never been told. Then, after college, her mother suddenly opened up to her. Francoise recounted her turbulent adolescence caught between a volatile mother and a playboy father, one of the firstplastic surgeons in France. The weight of the difficult stories she told her daughter shifted the balance between them. It had taken an ocean to allow Francoise the distance to become her own person. At about the same age, Nadja made the journey in reverse, moving to Paris determined to get to kw the woman her mother had fled. Her grandmother s memories contradicted her mother s at nearly every turn, but beneath them lay a difficult history of her own. Nadja emerged with a deeper understanding of how each generation reshapes the past in order to forge ahead, their narratives both weapon and defense, eternally in conflict. Every reader will recognize herself and her family in this gorgeous and heartbreaking memoir, which helps us to see why sometimes those who love us best hurt us most.
- Author BiographyNadja Spiegelman grew up in New York City and now divides her time between Paris and Brooklyn. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Nadja Spiegelman
- PublisherPenguin Audiobooks
- Date of Publication02/08/2016
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Audiobooks
- Weight249 g
- Width130 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Read byNadja Spiegelman
- Contained items statement9 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time690
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $93.78Trending at AU $97.35
- AU $20.36Trending at AU $34.89
- AU $58.79Trending at AU $64.96
- AU $39.98Trending at AU $41.77
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.56
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.24
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.