All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionImages from the ancient Near East are an important though generally underutilized source of data for interpreting the Hebrew Bible and the cultural context from which it emerged. The essays in this volume highlight the ways that ancient Near Eastern icography can inform exegesis. This aim is accomplished through case studies in icographic exegesis that exhibit sound methodologies for relating images and texts. Since the 1970s, biblical scholars have been turning increasingly to icography as a source for understanding the religion, history and literature of the ancient Near East. The essays in this volume tackle two thorny issues: 1) how images reflect the cultures that produce them and 2) the nature of the relationship between images and texts, both within discrete cultures and among different cultures. Until w, there have been relatively few methodologically self-conscious treatments of ancient icography and its relationship to the biblical text. So this volume addresses a clear need for demonstrating transparent and consistent methods for icographic work among biblical scholars.
- Author BiographyDr Rudiger Schmitt teaches in the Graduate School for Religion and Politics at the University of Munster, Germany. Izaak J. de Hulster is working as post-doctoral researcher at the Georg-August-University Got-tingen (Germany) as part of the Alexander-von-Humboldt foundation sponsored Sofja Kovalev-skaja Project Unity and Diversity in Early Jewish Monotheisms. He holds an MA in theology from Utrecht University and an M.Div. from the Seminary of the Baptist congregations in The Netherlands. Joel M. LeMon is Assistant Professor of Old Testament, Candler School of Theology, Emory University, USA.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication30/06/2016
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThe Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight475 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byIzaak J. de Hulster,Joel M. LeMon
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.