All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book brings a new approach to the study of the arts of the Middle East. By dealing in one volume with dance, music, painting, and cinema, as experienced and practiced t only within the Middle East but also abroad, Images of Enchantment breaks down the artificial distinctions -- of form, geography, 'high' and 'low' art, performer and artist -- that are so often used to delineate the subjects and processes of Middle Eastern artistic culture. The eighteen essays in this book cover themes as diverse as Bedouin dance, the music of Arab Americans, cinema in Egypt and Iran, Hollywood representations of the Middle East, and contemporary Sudanese painting. The contributions come from scholars and critics and from the artists themselves. Together, they present a wide-ranging and holistic view of the arts in their social, political, anthropological, and gender contexts.
- Author BiographySherifa Zuhur is a historian affiliated with the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, UC Berkeley and the von Grunebaum Center, UCLA.
- PublisherThe American University in Cairo Press
- Date of Publication31/03/1999
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCairo
- Country of PublicationEgypt
- ImprintThe American University in Cairo Press
- Content Note14 colour illustrations
- Weight410 g
- Width145 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited bySherifa Zuhur
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.