All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThough often portrayed in scholarly literature as a spontaneous artist, Frida Kahlo worked in a quite deliberate manner, basing her paintings on diverse cultural and philosophical sources. Imaging Her Selves uncovers the unexplored visual and textual foundations of Kahlo's imagery, illustrating-through a detailed study of her diary, letters, library collection, and other material- the complex multilayered meanings of the many selves she comprised. In dozens of self-portraits, Kahlo examined the conventional and unconventional roles with which she attempted to identify. Ankori's work offers an invative interpretation of her art as a major contribution to the ongoing human quest for a fuller understanding of the meaning of self. Ackwledging her failure to conform to traditional female roles, such as that of wife and mother, Kahlo investigated alternative options. Her physical, metaphysical, social, and genealogical selves-including Lilith, La Llorona, La Malinche, the Crowned Nun, and the Hindu goddess Parvati- are all on display in her art. Transcending typical biographical inquiries, Ankori has created a broader study of the way in which Kahlo's art both reflected and refracted her multifaceted identity.
- Author BiographyGANNIT ANKORI is a lecturer in the Department of Art History at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. She has published extensively in the fields of Mexican, Palestinian, and Israeli art, as well as feminist cultural studies. Her articles have been printed in Hebrew, Arabic, French, German, and English.
- Author(s)Gannit Ankori
- Date of Publication30/01/2002
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleContributions to the Study of Art & Architecture
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo.7
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Notebibliography
- Weight710 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine29 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.