All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
About this product
- DescriptionImmersed tunnels have been around for more than a century but remain a relatively unknown form of tunnel construction. For waterway crossings they are an effective alternative to bored tunnels and bridges, particularly in shallower waters, soft alluvial soils, and earthquake-prone areas. Successful implementation requires a thorough understanding of a wide variety of civil engineering disciplines and construction techniques. Immersed Tunnels brings together in one volume all aspects of immersed tunnels from initial feasibility and planning, through design and construction, to operation and maintenance. Get Valuable Insights into Immersed Tunnel Engineering from Expert Practitioners The book presents design and construction principles to give a full appreciation not only of what is involved in an immersed tunnel scheme but also how potential problems are dealt with and overcome. It examines important factors that have to be considered, particularly environmental implications and mechanical and electrical systems. It also gives practical examples of how specific techniques have been used in various projects and highlights issues that designers and constructors should be aware of. In addition, the book discusses operation and maintenance and reviews contractual matters. These aspects are described from the viewpoint of two experienced practitioners in the field who have a wealth of experience on immersed tunnel projects worldwide. As tunnels are increasingly being adopted as engineering solutions around the world, this unique and extensively illustrated reference explores the wide variety of immersed tunnel techniques available to designers and constructors. It provides essential insight for anyone involved, or seeking to be involved, with immersed tunnel projects.
- Author BiographyRichard Lunniss is director of civil engineering at Capita Symonds. Jonathan Baber is a project director at Mott MacDonald and vice animateur of the International Tunnelling Association Working Group for Immersed and Floating Tunnels. Lunniss and Baber have been extensively involved, over 25- and 20-year periods respectively, in the design and construction of immersed tunnels worldwide. Their completed schemes include: * Conwy Tunnel (UK) * Medway Tunnel (UK) * Jack Lynch Tunnel (Cork, Ireland) * Airport Railway Tunnel (Hong Kong) * Preveza Tunnel (Greece) *Oresund Tunnel (Copenhagen, Denmark) * Fort Point Channel Tunnel (Boston, USA) * Bjorvika Tunnel (Oslo, Norway) * Limerick Tunnel (Ireland) They have also undertaken feasibility and tender designs for several other immersed tunnel projects, and given advice to funders on PFI schemes.
- Author(s)Jonathan Baber,Richard Lunniss
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication04/03/2013
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Content Note162 black & white illustrations, 26 black & white tables
- Weight884 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine36 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.