Immunocytochemistry: A Practical Guide for Biomedical Research by Richard W. Burry (Hardback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $101.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $107.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDescription: In biomedical research, because of a dramatic increase in productivity, immucytochemistry has emerged as a major technique. The proposed book will provide the first practical guide to planning, performing, and evaluating immucytochemical experiments. In today's graduate education the emphasis is on doing research and t on formal class work. Graduate students therefore lack the background in many essential techniques necessary to perform research in fields in which they were t trained. As director of a university core microscopy facility which sees students and faculty from dozens of laboratories each year, Dr. Burry has surmised the vast majority of these vice microscope users need considerable help. In an attempt to educate users, Dr. Burry has initiated immucytochemistry seminars and workshops which serve to train people in this powerful research tool. The proposed book is an outgrowth of these presentations and conversations with, by w, hundreds of people who have asked for help. The philosophy which separates this book from other books in this field is that it is practical, rather than academic. In looking at other important immucytochemistry titles, the predominant orientation is academic, with the author attempting to comprehensively discuss the topic. For example, one book with sample preparation lists ten fixatives which can be used; however, only two such fixatives are commonly used today. In this particular title, the detailed discussion of old methods might be seen as important in establishing the author as an expert. By contrast, the approach for Burry's book would be to discuss methods based on what works in animal research laboratories today, and focus only on the most productive methods. An additional distinction with this proposed book is the focus on animal research and t human pathology. There is a certification program for pathology technicians which requires them to learn a set body of material based on processing human tissue for examination by a pathologist. Many of the books on immucytochemistry aim at this large pathology user base. Due to historical reasons, pathology laboratories process human tissues in a specific way and embed the tissue in paraffin, as has been done for over a century. In the last ten years, the power of immucytochemistry in clinical diagsis has become clear and has accordingly been adapted to pathology. However, the extensive processing needed for paraffin sections is t needed if the tissues are from research animals. Processing for animal-based tissues takes about a third of the time and results in higher quality images. The focus of this book is on processing these animal research tissues for immucytochemistry. Today, there are technique books which are aimed at this user base. As a subject matter expert in the area of the proposed book, Dr. Burry will make recommendations and offer opinions. Because this field is new and is emerging, there are numerous advantages of specific methods over other, more generalized methods. The purpose of this book is to show a vice how to do immucytochemistry without engaging in a discussion of possible advanced methods. For the advanced user, there are several good books which discuss the unusual methods, yet for the vice there are currently ne. Main Author : Richard W. Burry, The Ohio State University (United States). The Outline of the Book : Each chapter supplies a set of important principals and steps necessary for good immucytochemistry. The information is distilled down to include only the most important points and does t attempt to cover infrequently used procedures or reagents. At the end of most chapters is a section on trouble-shooting many of the common problems using the Sherlock Holmes method. Each chapter also includes specific protocols which can be used. The goal of each chapter is to present the reader with eugh information to successfully design experiments and solve m
- Author(s)Richard W. Burry
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication17/12/2009
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note23 black & white tables, biography
- Weight570 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.